Start with the Arts Curriculum
This curriculum developed by VSA has been successfully implemented in early childhood classrooms throughout the county. VSA Nevada can provide on-site training in the curriculum for early childhood educators seeking license credits.
Start with the Arts is an instructional program created by VSA for pre-school and early elementary school learners that uses the arts to assist young children, including those with disabilities, in exploring themes commonly taught in early childhood classrooms.
Start with the Arts:
- Builds and strengthens specific skills in literacy and the arts by developing children’s creativity.
- Uses arts and literary activities to engage children in expressing concepts, thoughts and feelings.
- Helps children to develop their understanding of their personal relationship to the world around them.
- Includes resources for parents to continue their children’s learning at home
Start with the Arts – Introduction
- Start with the Arts – Using a Thematic Approach
- Visual Arts sample activity: Getting to Know Me
- Creative Movement sample activity: Watch Me Move
- Music sample activity: Moods and Feelings
- Creative Drama sample activity: Puppet Interview
Start with the Arts materials include:
- A comprehensive Start with the Arts Teacher’s Guide containing 54 Start with the Arts learning experiences and tips for implementing the lessons.
- A CD-ROM with printable lesson plans.
- Student Learning Logs and “Learn Along at Home” letters to parents for each arts experience.
- If you would like to purchase a printed copy of Start with the Arts in a 3 -ring binder it is available for $50.00 plus $5.00 shipping and handling or you can download for free at http://www.kennedy-center.org/education/vsa/resources/start_with_arts.cfm.
For more information about the Start with the Arts program, materials, Institutes, or to order your copies please call VSAN’s Program Director at 826-6100 x 2#